Resources for Learners with Special Needs
Do you have a child with special needs?
Homeschooling is a wonderful way to customize your student education in a way that works best for them.
Do you have additional questions? Contact us directly.
- HSLDA Special Needs – Unclear of your child’s exact learning challenge? Use the yellow tab at the top of the link.
- Almaden Valley Christian School – Almaden Valley Christian School is a home education service for families of children with learning differences, difficulties and disabilities. We provide information, consulting and resources to parents teaching their children at home.
- Davis Dyslexia Correction – Offers curriculum suitable for homeschooling parents to work with pre-K through 3rd grade. Jodi Baugh is local Davis facilitator ().
- Dianne Craft – Child Diagnostics
- Easyread System – The Easyread System is a fully supported online phonics course for children with dyslexia, auditory processing issues and highly visual learning styles who struggle to read and write.
- Homeschooling a Struggling Learner – HSLDA – Help for special needs families
- I Can – International Christian Association of Neurodevelopmentalists
- Joyce Herzog – Educational Support
- JoyQuest – JoyQuest offers faith-based support to Indiana families with special needs children and struggling learners with a focus on the educational challenges.
- National Challenged Home Schoolers Associated Network (NATHHAN) – Encouraging homeschooling families with special needs children, in ways that glorify the Lord Jesus Christ and equipping parents to confidently homeschool their children with special needs or disabilities.
Tools for Students with Dyslexia
- Dyslexia in the Homeschool – Article by IAHE volunteer, Alison Statter
- Dyslexia Games – Created by Indiana homeschool mom Sarah Brown
- Dyslexia Institute of Indiana – Private tutoring
- Knowledge Adventure – Spelling games online
- Spelling City – Spelling games and vocabulary drills online
- Math U See – Hands on math program
- Decoding Dyslexia – Grassroots group raising awareness about dyslexia. Many great resources here.
- All About Spelling – Multi-sensory approach to spelling using the Orton-Gillingham approach.
- Barton Reading & Spelling – One on one tutoring system
- Overcoming Dyslexia – Book by Sally Shaywitz, M.D.
- Typeface – A typeface designed to help dyslexics read
Tools for Students with Autism or Asperger’s
- Lego-based Therapy – A book on how to build social competence through Lego-based clubs for children with autism or other related conditions *** Want to start your own club? Let IAHE know and we will advertise it for you.
- Lego Printables – An enormous list from a blogger of free Lego printables